Tuesday 6 March 2012

Bug Brunch - Melbourne Food and Wine Festival

I recall a conversation I had with my mum when I was around 10 years old concerning my love for all foods deep fried and roasted.  "If I deep fried poo, would you eat it?" my mum had asked.  And the answer was a resounding Yes!-  I would eat anything that was crunchy and salty. 

The Bug Brunch held at the Melbourne Museum for the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival had the crunchy snacks in the bag.  We were treated with an easy to comprehend layman's presentation on bugs as food from a cultural, environmental and nutritional perspective.  After impatiently waiting for the 40 min or so of the educational spiel to end, we sampled various crunchy insects. 

All the insect we ate were farm raised and oven roasted.  What did they taste like?  Well generally nutty.  Very crunchy and the cricket legs then to get stuck between the teeth.  Not unpleasant.  They remind me of the roasted skins of peanuts or wasabi peas without the wasabi.  Crunchy in an airy type of way. 


Jimminy Cricket

Jimminy Cricket come to Mama

Cheddar Cheese worm.  Pick of the bunch
Big grub which we did not attempt to go

TP daintily nibbling on a mealworm

3 comments:

  1. hi beaker, next time be my guest,my back yard has a lot of your favourites !
    mother hen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll make you plate of fried turd and watch you eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey beaker and bureaucrat, one day we'll have to meet again.
    don't go to rice paper- it was soooo bad. see my post at: www.newintstudents.blogspot.com.
    beaker, please write up more places when you have a chance

    ReplyDelete